Book Babes Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Babes Book Club

Grab a cup of coffee (or tea), kick up your feet and stay awhile. Here we'll discuss books, life happenings, and whatever else tickles our fancy. I'm glad you stopped by!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Hunger Games

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
janetteplatter
Admin
janetteplatter

The Hunger Games Empty
PostSubject: The Hunger Games   The Hunger Games Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Alright... it's on most people's minds I'm sure.... I read the books a few years ago so I don't quite remember every detail, but I remember it enough to appreciate that the movie did a good job interpreting it. I'm sure it helps that Suzanne Collins was the screenplay writer. :p

What are your thoughts on the book/movie? Honestly, the more I think about it, the less I like it. Mostly because I don't know how so many people are entertained by a story that requires children to fight to the death for food! How has this had such mass entertainment appeal? It's pretty morbid. And it makes me wonder why we are entertained by violence. But maybe that's just me.
I like it enough to think about it in constructive ways, but as far as enjoying it... for me personally, it's too sad to have much of an enjoyment factor.

I read a blog (actually, Corinne.. I think you reblogged it and that's where I saw it) that said we in the US are like the capitol... living lavishly while others suffer. What do you think of that? I've been chewing on that in my mind all week. It kind of makes me sick because in some regards, I think it's true. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
https://bookbabes.board-directory.net
StephLeeO

The Hunger Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   The Hunger Games Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I won't reply to all the topics in your post because, let's face it, there were about a hundred and thirty-seven, but....

book to screen: I thought the movie portrayed Katniss just about totally opposite of the book. ha. I mean, the major elements were there... took her sister's place, won the games, etc. but in the book it seemed like there was a lot of focus on Katniss not showing emotion or weakness in order to appear strong and win sponsors. She doesn't cry at all in the book but she cries several times in the movie which I think affects the way the audience understands her character. Also in the movie we don't really see any of the internal turmoil about the boys which makes her seem shallow whereas in the book she is constantly battling herself between Gale's betrayal (if he is even hers to betray) and her survival by pairing with Peeta. I'm not sure how either of those parts of the character could have been displayed on the screen but I wish they had found a way.

morbid book: I was in a bad mood pretty much the whole 5 days I was reading this series (my husband was out of town). I told my husband when he recommended the series that I didn't think I would like it because it sounded dark but with all the hype and the movie, I figured I'd give it a go and once I'm in a book series... well you know, you've got to finish it. I think when I read a book I so enjoy getting sucked into the other world that I usually just let myself, but with Hunger Games I was constantly thinking about the psychological repercussions of those stupid games. Ha! Talk about taking work home with you (I'm a counselor). Having read the books, I don't think I would recommend them to myself.

book to reality: I think it hit me strongly not as much on the real-world national level injustice but rather on the real-world my-work level injustice. I kept thinking about the kids I work with- particularly the kids who come from homes filled with domestic violence and abuse and how they parallel the victors. Survivors of awful brutality that they had no choice in, scarred forever and unsure what to do in "regular society" after the games (abuse) is over. Sorry, no resolution to this particular point- just sharing how the book accidentally affected me.
Back to top Go down

The Hunger Games
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Book Babes Book Club :: General Conversation :: Movies & Television-
Jump to: